.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, WA, United States

I am a Christian. I develop software for Amazon.com. I also sometimes do theater in various capacities, write now and then, and I enjoy some undefinable essence that can often be found in fantasy.

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Fitted Feet

I have been praying some tonight, and I've been looking at the armor of God passage in Ephesians 6. I think I may have just made a little more sense out of 6:15 than I had before. "And with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace." I've normally been puzzled by this, but now I see it not exactly as 'readiness', but as urgency. We have the Gospel, and the world is thirsty parched in need for it. Shall we not rush out to act as agents of mercy and grace? Shall we not hurry forth to serve them? Since the actual passage is about "standing firm", I may be stretching a little beyond the original meaning, but I think what I am saying is still well within the pale. Anyone care to disagree? :-)

Hallelujah to God!

1 Comments:

Blogger Nate Custer said...

Ian,

I worked on this passage all last year for a mission trip. A few comments of context:

Paul is writing about the difference between a spiritual life and life inside the roman empire (general theme of ephesians).

He directly contrasts the typical way people inside the empire became citizens (joined the army) with a wicked satire of the armies ideas/ideals in their armor.

In that context I would ask what about the "Gospel of Peace" is a contrast to the purpose of sandels in the context of an army? Well first off sandels are required if you are going to march long distances. Feet that have been fitted with new sandels are able to go off and invade/dominate. I would suggest that the Gospel of Peace is spread in an inverted way. The Gospel of Peace is not conversion at the mercy of the sword, it is the witness of christians who lay down their lives in the service of others. Make sense?

One more tibbit: Paul writes in Romans 10:5 - “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace, who bring glad tidings of good things!”

Now we know what the hebrewic view of feet are right? Feet are disgusting. Washing feet is the domain of the lowest of the low servant. Yet Paul calls them beautiful, for me that is more evidence of the upside nature of the "Gospel of Peace."

Now I would ask what exactly is the "Gospel of Peace"? But enough preaching for one day.

Have a good one.

Nate

September 02, 2006 7:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home