.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, WA, United States

I am a Christian. I develop software for Amazon.com. I also sometimes do theater in various capacities, write now and then, and I enjoy some undefinable essence that can often be found in fantasy.

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Maidens and Shepherd Boys

I've found the beginnings of a story in a heap of paper in a box. They are writ in a hand not my own:
Well, the myths are always set in the early times, with the shepherd boys and young maidens.
Poetically, it actually works all right, evoking images of idyllic hills and so on. It does raise a question though: aren't there still young maidens? If not, why not? Did they all get old and become old maids? Are they all pretending to be girls and insisting that they aren't young maidens at all? Or did the dragons do a better job than I thought?
I was actually under the impression that some of my blog readers could reasonably be called "young maidens." Am I then set in the early times, blog and all? You know, that might not be so bad... but I've never encountered a true Celtic hero who spent any time at all updating a blog.

3 Comments:

Blogger Abigail said...

That's only because the Celts didn't have blogs. :)

October 05, 2006 10:15 AM  
Blogger Goldberry said...

Ah, here we have a logical question. The statement says that myths are set in early times, and that they are peopled by shepherd boys and young maidens. This means that myths include those people, not that nothing else includes them. It might also imply that old women and blacksmiths are not as typical of myths, and it does say that myths are not set in later times...

October 06, 2006 8:46 AM  
Blogger Faramir said...

And there's this: You aren't by any stretch of the imagination a shepherd boy! OK. you've camped out a few times, but when was the last time you whacked a sheep on the tail with your stick to get it into the sheep pen?

BTW - the Celts definitely had blogs back then! They just used somewhat different technology. In fact, they were renowned for their - well, I guess they called them Bards!

October 12, 2006 4:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home