.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, WA, United States

I am a Christian. I develop software for Amazon.com. I also sometimes do theater in various capacities, write now and then, and I enjoy some undefinable essence that can often be found in fantasy.

Monday, January 23, 2006

Housing Survey

I am filling out a housing survey. They have asked me how I like my room. Is the dorm kept clean? Does it seem safe to me? Should they add wireless internet? Is the cell phone reception good? Should they start selling fruit cups at the snack bar?

And then:
Please indicate the importance to you personally of each of the following.
a. Becoming accomplished in one of the performing arts (acting, dancing)
b. Becoming an authority in my field
c. Obtaining recognition from my colleagues for contributions to my special field
d. Influencing the political structure
e. Influencing social values
f. Raiding a family
g. Having administrative responsibility for the work of others
h. Being very well off financially
i. Helping others who are in difficulty
j. Making a theoretical contribution to science
k. Writing original works (poems, novels, short stories)
l. Creating artistic work (painting, sculpture, decorating)
m. Becoming successful in a business of my own
n. Becoming involved in programs to clean up the environment
o. Developing a meaningful philosophy of life
p. Participating in a community action program
q. Helping to promote racial understanding
r. Keeping up to date with political affairs
s. Becoming a community leader
t. Integrating spirituality into my life
u. Improving my understanding of other countries and cultures
v. Working to find a cure to a health problem

I'm just a little bemused. My dorm wants to get to know me. Does it want to become my new best friend? Go out for coffee? (As if I drank coffee...) It seems kind of silly. But on the other hand, these would be very good questions if they actually did want to get to know someone. It seems like they get to the dreams of a person very well. For instance, even though I enjoy theater, (a) isn't that important to me. (b) is something I think I'd like sometimes, but it's not the cream of existance. (d) and (e) seem like valuable contributions to make to the world. (i) is clearly a Good Thing(tm). (j) would be cool, but I don't really expect to do it. I am quite into (k) though. (t) is good if it means that I want to serve God more fully. But as to (v)...no, I'm afraid curing cancer isn't on my ToDo list.

So we have this set of questions that seems like it could work on LiveJournal on a fill-in-the-bubble survey from my dorm administrators. Huh?

5 Comments:

Blogger Goldberry said...

It's probably b/c it's a residential college, not just a dorm... though it doesn't seem like raiding a family should be on their list! They probably use the responses to develop presentations, etc.

January 23, 2006 7:42 PM  
Blogger Soaring Gryphon said...

No, this survey was sent to everyone in all the dorms. I don't know whether it was sent to the people in "family housing" though. If it were, they might have been a little more sensitive.

January 23, 2006 8:52 PM  
Blogger Abigail said...

Really, they're trying to figure out how many people from the dorms are planning to make raids on family housing...

January 24, 2006 10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems to me like this is not perhaps just a housing survey - maybe it's partly to get at what the "personality" of particular dorms is, and longitudinally to see if there's any difference in people's responses as they go through the educational process.

You might not want to cure cancer, but how about asthma and allergies?

Did it really say raiding a family? Was that their typo or yours?

February 22, 2006 8:55 PM  
Blogger Soaring Gryphon said...

Yeah, it probably is trying to determine the dorms' personality. What do you think they'll do with that?

Asthma and allergies are certainly a nuisance, but that doesn't mean I want to leap into the medical field. I don't really like biology, except some very low-level stuff like DNA and the insides of a cell.

No comment.

March 13, 2006 7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home