.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, WA, United States

I am a Christian. I develop software for Amazon.com. I also sometimes do theater in various capacities, write now and then, and I enjoy some undefinable essence that can often be found in fantasy.

Thursday, May 07, 2009

Incredulity

Last night, I made what may have been a mistake; I admitted to a friend that I thought it credible to suppose that Spring-heeled Jack existed. She responded that she didn't believe everything she read.

Well, neither do I. Just now, when I got home, I found a notice saying that FedEx had attempted to deliver a package. They normally leave packages in the apartment office, but I looked over the notice to make sure that they hadn't just taken it back to try again later. They had a box checked, but it said "Porch". I said, "I think you mean 'apartment office.' The 'porch,' as you call my balcony, is rather inaccessible." However, I have heard enough stories about people misled by their own incredulity that I went over to the balcony, turned on the light, and peered outside. I almost missed it, but there really was a package, sitting there in the rain in a corner. This is the first time this has ever happened to me, and I've lived here nearly three years.

I went outside again to double-check; unless the delivery man was nine feet tall, he had to clamber up and balance on a railing to get my package onto the balcony. Probably a rain-slick railing at that. Or he could have thrown it... but that would be a truly bad delivery man, and it wouldn't have landed where it did.

I am quite amused by this intrepid delivery man.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan said...

What an amazing deliveryperson! I imagine he attached it to a parachute made of ice, which he then threw into the air and allowed to gently fall, and melt, on your porch.

May 08, 2009 8:05 AM  
Blogger Faramir said...

Logically, since Spring Heeled Jack has not been seen in the London or Liverpool areas since 1986 (according to the Wiki you helpfully linked to), he has emigrated to the US and taken a job with FedEx in the Seattle area.
(What *do* they teach them in these schools? ;-)
8-)>

May 08, 2009 8:21 AM  
Blogger Soaring Gryphon said...

Thanks for the excellent supplementary laughs!

May 08, 2009 9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home