.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, WA, United States

I am a Christian. I develop software for Amazon.com. I also sometimes do theater in various capacities, write now and then, and I enjoy some undefinable essence that can often be found in fantasy.

Saturday, December 01, 2007

Snow!

It is the first of December, and for the first time here this winter, it is snowing. I tried to take a picture, but my free little digital camera cannot capture snowflakes. They are big, fat flakes, falling down in flocks, in crowds. Some of them must be an inch and a half from one end to the other! The conifers are feathered with flakes, and the other trees, devoid of leaves, stand in stark silhouette against a whitish sky. It is winter indeed. And to me, it seems excellent for winter to start not just sometime in December, and certainly not in November, but exactly when December begins! Perhaps I like numbers too well. I have sometimes wondered how people in the early and middle 1900's could stand living in years that had such boring numbers. It only recently occurred to me how little the year number really has to do with the flavor of a time. Or perhaps what was news was that I did think they were related.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Goldberry said...

I think it's really cool to live at the beginning of a new century, when the numbers start rolling again. The early 1900s always seemed extra charming to me because of the small numbers! :-)

No snow yet in Washington. I don't think we've even had a hard frost yet... But it's getting cold.

December 02, 2007 3:49 PM  
Blogger Soaring Gryphon said...

It's snowing in Washington, but not in Washington. :-)

December 02, 2007 4:12 PM  
Blogger Abigail said...

I love snow! I don't love driving in it (mostly because of other drivers here) but I love watching it fall and watching everything coated with sugar. :)

December 03, 2007 1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yesterday I opened the garage door to leave for work, and discovered about half an inch of snow on the driveway. Not enough to need to shovel, but enough to make Ellsworth twice as slow as usual! And last night it was down to 2 degrees... a record. But it's somehow RIGHT to be cold and snowy (and dark at 5:30 pm) now. The Christmas lights shine all the brighter.

December 06, 2007 6:41 PM  
Blogger Faramir said...

Right now I'm watching snow fall gently into the Chicago Canal, as I sit warm and cozy in a Panera, strategically situated between Sears Tower and Union Station.

The Kramps and I missed our train back to Michigan by about 45 seconds :-( so we get an extra afternoon in the Big City. Katy, Eric, and Robbie went to the main Chicago Library, and I elected to stay warm and snug with a café mocha and free WiFi, watching the luggage. :-)

December 15, 2007 2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home