.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, WA, United States

I am a Christian. I develop software for Amazon.com. I also sometimes do theater in various capacities, write now and then, and I enjoy some undefinable essence that can often be found in fantasy.

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Logicking Boats and Worlds

We will start with these two sayings:
  1. "Don't rock the boat"
  2. "That rocked my world!"


Now, expression 1 is a negative expostulation, stating displeasure at the rocking of the boat. We might tentatively state that rocking is unpleasant. However, we know that expression 2 is a positive exclamation, stating pleasure at the rocking of the world.

Therefore, we can conclude that rocking is not always unpleasant. Rocking a boat evokes displeasure, but rocking a world evokes pleasure.

If that is the state of things with boats and worlds, then it must further be clear that stability is a very desirable quality for a boat, but not for a world. Boats should rest firmly in one place and not shift about. Worlds, on the otherhand, should be constructed in such a way that they rock about easily, for the pleasure of their denizens.

So in an ideal world, when you want excitement and thrill, you should stay on the land of your world, but if you begin to get motion sickness, you should spend some time in a boat.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Faramir said...

Logic is wonderful! I'll have to remember this next time I have the option to choose between boats and worlds. ;-)

April 21, 2007 7:55 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

This is why I am happy to be right brained. Logic... pah...

May 08, 2007 6:38 AM  
Blogger Abigail said...

Ah, logic.

May 09, 2007 1:27 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Nice. I think I would've taken it from the angle that allows you to arrive at a contradiction and deduce that one of your premises is false. QED.

I have half a mind to collect pairs of phrases that, though they have opposite literal meaning, are exactly the same in slang.

May 15, 2007 6:24 PM  
Blogger Soaring Gryphon said...

But would that really have been fun? Using metaphorical sayings for a logical proof is already clearly faulty; if all you're going to do is prove that, why bring it up at all? Much better to use it to reach conclusions that are even faultier, for the amusement of people. However, perhaps you know something I don't about making humor through a contradiction?

Phrase pairs: that could be amusing.

May 15, 2007 10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home