.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, WA, United States

I am a Christian. I develop software for Amazon.com. I also sometimes do theater in various capacities, write now and then, and I enjoy some undefinable essence that can often be found in fantasy.

Saturday, January 12, 2008

The Alarm Clock of Doom

I just bought a nice gadget of an alarm clock from Target. It has numerous features; for instance, I didn't have to set it. I actually only intend to use one; the projection clock, which works in three different colors. This allows me to see what time it is when I'm lying in bed with my glasses off, and I have been looking forward to it for some time.

However, there is a dark side to this clock of mine... the serial number. 70911666PH. That is:

  • The most recent temple of Jerusalem fell in 70 AD

  • The United States suffered a devastating attack on home soil on 9/11

  • We are told in Revelation that 666 is the number of the Beast, who will fight against God and His Church, and also deceive many

  • PH, probably the most subtle of the signs, I interpret to refer to "Public Houses": pubs, taverns, bars. They clearly foster evil among the masses. :-)



However, I do think it would be an abuse of numerology to toss the alarm clock on this account. (In case anyone thought I was serious.) I think it quite unlikely that this alarm clock will cause my apartment building to be reduced to rubble, deceive me into serving the devil, or entice me into a pub.

6 Comments:

Blogger Caleb Bell said...

Was it really a dark thing, cosmically speaking, that the temple was destroyed in 70 A.D.?

January 13, 2008 10:36 PM  
Blogger Faramir said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

January 17, 2008 5:51 PM  
Blogger Faramir said...

As a programmer, it's your duty to be aware of numbers. But numerology is a slippery subject. For every number, there are at least ten different interpretations, unless you're working in hexadecimal, where obviously there are sixteen possible interpretations.

My advice: stick to binary. Keep your numerology simple.

And don't lose sleep over your alarm clock. Until morning, anyway.

January 17, 2008 5:53 PM  
Blogger Soaring Gryphon said...

The destruction of the temple was a very ugly, bloody event. It is true to the best of my knowledge that it symbolized the change from a temple system of limited access to God, to direct access through Christ Jesus, and that it symbolized the replacement of Judaism with Christianity. However, Christianity was already begun before the temple was destroyed. It is not like the crucifixion of Jesus, which was clearly necessary for our salvation.

There is a bright side or a silver lining to many events. The destruction of the temple does symbolize good things about what God was and still is doing. When the Beast comes, we'll know that the earthly reign of Christ is much closer, which is certainly a good thing. I don't think we can even say yet what historical impact the September 11 attacks really had. While a useful study, the historical impact of an event is not sufficient to abrogate its overall atrocity.

January 19, 2008 4:49 PM  
Blogger Soaring Gryphon said...

What are the sixteen interpretations for the number 0x0A?

January 19, 2008 4:49 PM  
Anonymous joselinadam said...

The latest alarm clocks are designed to wake people easily at the right time by simply setting the alarm which does not wake up the rest of the roommates or partner.
Shake Awake - shake awake clock,shake awake distributors

April 23, 2009 11:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home