.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, WA, United States

I am a Christian. I develop software for Amazon.com. I also sometimes do theater in various capacities, write now and then, and I enjoy some undefinable essence that can often be found in fantasy.

Monday, October 31, 2005

Let's hear it for the schools!

This article, pointed out by my sister, says that public school administrators have exceptionally low GRE scores. It complains about the school system for letting this happen, and for letting in 100% of their applicants.

I'm unhappy to hear that the GRE scores are so bad, but the author still doesn't have any plan of action in place. He complains, but he offers no alternative. I don't know if there is a good alternative, unfortunately, but if there were, it would involve having more applicants. What the schools need most is not more selectivity; that would just mean they had fewer administrators. What they need is a wider pool. They need thousands of graduates eagerly vying to adminstrate high schools, including a large number of smart ones. Once that happens, I'm sure they'll have no trouble being selective and choosing good administrators. Although if the people doing the selection are truly lacking in intelligence, I might be wrong about that.

Anyway, the big call is to increase the pool of applicants. How do you make graduates want to work as school administrators?

That's the question, and I hope the reading crowd will have some ideas!
Some of mine:
- Higher pay. The impoverished school districts should dip into their deep purses and pay higher salaries to their employees.
- Better publicity. Show up at job fairs. Make billboards. Come up with catchy phrases. Maybe even TV ads. ("And then Eugene became an administrator, and he made sure no one beat up the school nerds ever again.")
- Better rap. Change the image of the school administrator. No longer will they be dumpy, unimaginative men in tweed suits wearing thick-rimmed glasses. Instead, school administrators will be cool. How to do that I leave as an exercise for the reader. :-D


Honestly, higher pay is hard to provide without state's giving out more money, and I don't know where it would come from. Publicity suffers the same problem, and won't help very much if there's still low pay and a bad rap. Making school administrators seem cool is a tall order indeed. Any better ideas?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home