.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, WA, United States

I am a Christian. I develop software for Amazon.com. I also sometimes do theater in various capacities, write now and then, and I enjoy some undefinable essence that can often be found in fantasy.

Monday, October 23, 2006

Words

Here's some cool words I've gleaned from Othello today:

Haggard: A wild female falcon. (It's also used to refer to unfaithful women, but I don't feel any need to collect vocabulary for that. I'd much rather collect vocabulary for making women happier.)

Sith: Since. As in, "I'll love no friend, sith love breeds such offense." And indeed, what passes for love among the Sith breeds great offense indeed. (And here I thought I wouldn't be able to stick in a Star Wars joke... I hadn't realized how resourceful Shakespeare could be!)

Hmm... if Shakespeare lived today, would his plays have any Star Wars jokes? Probably not, but it's a funny thought. Actually, that's probably part of the whispered "timelessness" of Shakespeare... that he didn't jape at the works of his compatriots. He still used the language of his day, not only high-sounding language but also the language of the lower class where it made sense, but perhaps he took some care about how much he drew from the day-to-day culture of his world.

Good. I have another excuse to ignore popular culture.

Speaking of which, I thought of a reason why fashion exists today, and even still, I'm not planning to become fashionable. I am thinking of buying some Hawaiian shirts from Amazon, though. Haven't seen prices to beat my first $3 Hawaiian shirt from Walmart, but that was Walmart, and that shirt has finally ripped, silk though it be. Most vendors online seme to think a Hawaiian shirt is worth at least $50, and maybe $70 or even $140 for a nice one. ????? They start at $20 at Amazon.

2 Comments:

Blogger Caleb Bell said...

Psst... Shakespeare was popular culture at the time.

October 24, 2006 10:59 AM  
Blogger Soaring Gryphon said...

Indeed. But I don't think that he made many jokes about the rest of popular culture, even in his comedies. Surely there was popular culture that wasn't Shakespeare?

October 28, 2006 12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home